Tuesday

Starbucks Promise

Since Starbucks opened I have liked the company: their environments, promotion design, accessibility, coffee and fair practices. They are all about a positive experience and a respite in your hectic day.

Since my last few visits, I'm putting them on notice. Despite poetic signage about daybreak breakfasts, it was not a positive experience. 

The restroom mirror had a splash of gunk plastered on it and looked as though it had been there for a while. Don't their employees ever visit the restroom? I know it gets heavy use but cleanliness in a coffee shop is not a frill – it's basic. 

Branding is a promise, not just about advertising but every small detail of customer service.

I still like the staff service and love that everywhere I go they are never more than a few blocks away. Their brochures are cool and their drinks are hot. Is that enough? 

What's happened to their management? Am I the only one noticing?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Agreed. I'm in Canada, but I notice a big difference between service levels even 2-3 years ago and now. They are going through big changes with marketing, but I think it needs to filter down to the individual store level so that the management at every store tries to make sure the experience is good for customers (in every way).

Lieber Brewster Design, Inc. / Organized Space Works said...

Justine, Thanks for your comment. So you're seeing this in Canada also. One compliment to Starbucks. They've added healthy oatmeal with nuts and raisins to their menu. So great when I travel!

Rob said...

Hmmm... well I'm a marketer (not in the same league as you) but I have never 'bowed' to the corporate marketing machine that is Starbucks.

Despite their fantastic marketing which is evident from their obvious success and endless flocks of 'sheep'... I have never found their coffee to be that great and ordering there can make you feel like a complete moron. So despite great communication - I'm not surprised by your story...

You're certainly not alone but me...I'll stick with mom and pop...

Lieber Brewster Design, Inc. / Organized Space Works said...

Rob, Don't get me wrong. I'm actually a fan of Starbucks. They've just put out a better coffee too. I'm simply disappointed that they've overlooked such an important aspect of their customer service.